The largest source of pollution from greenhouse gas emissions from human activities in the U.S. is from burning fossil fuels for electricity. So consider trying solutions below.
COMMUNITY CHOICE AGGREGATION (CCA)
- Helping policymakers create policies so residents and businesses can choose clean electricity (LEAN Energy US)
- First CA county where residents and businesses can choose clean electricity (Marin Clean Energy Program), 2010, Marin County, CA
ENERGY & WATER EFFICIENCY
Buildings consume 41% of all U.S. energy to heat, cool and keep lights and appliances on. And 91% of it is dirty energy. With programs and policies below, you can improve how hot or cold you feel by managing heating and cooling systems efficiently. And if you improve lighting design, it can result in a 27% reduction in the incidence of headaches, which costs about $70 per employee annually in health insurance.
- Requiring businesses to get a 30 min. water and energy evaluation (Free Resource & Energy Business Evaluation Ordinance), 2009, Chula Vista, CA
- Requiring non-residential buildings to disclose energy use (Existing Commercial Buildings Energy Performance Ordinance), 2011, San Francisco, CA
- Rebates, contests, financing and contractors to help residents and businesses not lose money, water and energy (Energy Upgrade CA Program)
- First Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E) customer to use excess electricity at other city facilities (Biogas Cogeneration Upgrade Project), 2013, Hayward, CA