“My primary concern is the restoration of the life support systems of the planet so that all the beings that depend on those systems—humans, animals, and plants—can thrive. It’s an honor to work with luminaries in the urban sustainability movement toward that end.”
“If we applied the Golden Rule to the earth, the air, the water, the trees and all the animals (human and non human/wild and domestic) ~ what a wonderful world it would be.”
GCC Steering Committee Members
Deputy Director, San Francisco Department of the Environment
“Sharing ground-breaking best practices gives local governments, the community and policy makers the ability to enhance sustainability and protect our cities and the planet from environmental degradation.”
Director, Santa Monica Office of Sustainability and the Environment
“By working together through GCC we are expanding the reach and effectiveness of our individual efforts to realize sustainability in our communities and throughout California and the nation.”
Senior Environmental Analyst, Santa Monica Office of Sustainability and the Environment
“Working together we can advance the personal and professional art of integrating sustainable practices in the urban environment. Environmental protection, economic vitality and social justice are complementary and essential elements of a healthy community."
Chief Program Manager
Energy, Sustainability & Environmental Protection Division
San Diego Environmental Services Department
“This is hard work. We would be wasting our personal energy and resources if we did not share effective ideas with each other.”
Best Practices Interns
“Think globally, act locally.”
"I am proud to be part of an organization that makes it possible for communities to share environmental policies and practices that promote the preservation of our planet."
"The legacy of our generation will be measured by our ability to develop and implement environmentally sustainable practices and efficiently incorporate them into our economic and cultural systems."
Last updated March 6, 2013
GCC policies have resulted in...
- Conversion of over 665 million sheets of paper to 100% recycled content each year, which saves:
- 10 million pounds of carbon dioxide emissions
- Almost 80,000 trees
- More than 23 million gallons of water
- More than 6,600 barrels of oil
- 1,633,302 plastic water bottles from being landfilled, which saves:
- GCC member cities over
- California Bag Ban Infographic
- San Francisco Sets Example by Publishing Energy Consumption Data for Over 300 City Buildings
- Climate Action Plans
- GCC Welcomes New Members Chula Vista and Palo Alto
- GCC Member San Jose Ranks #1 on Clean Tech Index! SF & LA in top ten.
- Green Cities Congratulates San Diego for Electric Vehicle Project
- Green Cities Congratulates Santa Monica for Community Sustainability Goal
- Judge Upholds San Francisco's Bag Ordinance
- Mitigating Climate Change Through Food and Land Use
- The Carbon We Consume
- Single Use Bag Reduction Efforts
- GCC Policy Positions
- Mayoral Executive Orders and City Manager Directives
- Urban Environmental Accords
More Issues & News